Academic & Administrative Experience
Academic Administrative Statement
Academic and Professional Activities by Chronological Order
- Dean and Professor, College of Education, University of Texas, Brownsville, Texas. Also, he is a UNESCO and United Nations University Chairholder on History and Future of the University.
- Director, Institute of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education, University of Deusto, Bilbao, Spain.
- Professor (Tenured Professor and Frost Professorship Award), Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies; Director of Graduate Studies in International and Intercultural Development Education; Director of the International Institute of Educational Development, Associate Chairperson of Educational Foundations and Professional Studies of the College of Education, and Executive Director of FIU Interamerican University Council for Economic and Social Development (CUIDES), Florida International University, Miami, Florida.
- Senior Adviser in Higher Education to the Director General of UNESCO. Central Headquarters, Paris, France, and Member of the Governing Board and Executive Council of the Universidad Iberoamericana de Postgrado (UIP).
- Rector (President) of the Universidad Iberoamericana de Postgrado (UIP). Also, I was Director General of the Germán Sánchez Ruipérez Foundation and its Institute for Advanced Studies, which was attached to the University from 1988 to 1991.
- General Secretary of the Organization of Iberoamerican States for Education, Science and Culture (OEI) at Madrid, Spain.
- Tenure Professor and Chairman of the Graduate Program in Educational Administration at the Graduate School of the Instituto de Estudios Superiores en Administracion-IESA, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Provost and Vice-President for Academic Affairs, Co-founder and Professor of the Universidad Nacional Abierta at Caracas, Venezuela.
- Subsecretary-General Director of the Ministry of Education of Venezuela in charge of Planning, Budget and Evaluation for the whole educational system.
- Associate Professor of the Graduate School in Education at Universidad Simón Bolívar and Philosophy of Education & Psychology at Universidad Católica Andres Bello, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Associate Professor of the Graduate Program at the Instituto Universitario Pedagógico Experimental, Barquisimeto, Venezuela.
- Associate Professor of Psychology, Department of Psychology at Fort Lewis College, Durango, Colorado.
- Research Assistant at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Academic Dean, Dean of the School of Education and Associate Professor in Psychology and Education; Also, Director of the University Counseling Center and Director of the Educational Research Center at the Universidad de Oriente, Cumaná, Venezuela.
- Director of the Psychology Department at the Hospital General del Sur, Maracaibo, Venezuela.
- Assistant Professor of Psychology at the Universidad del Atlántico, Barranquilla, Colombia.
- Clinical Psychologist at the Clínica Neurológica y Psiquiátrica Santo Tomás, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Invited as Visiting Professor (short terms) to the following universities: University Antonionum, Rome, Italy; Universidad de Oviedo, Spain; Universidad de los Andes, Colombia; Universidad de Palermo, Argentina; Universidad de la Patagonia, Argentina; Universidad Católica de Chile; Universidad Centroamericana de Nicaragua; Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina; Universidad Central del Ecuador; Universidade Estadual do Sao Paulo, Brazil; Universidade de Brasilia; Universidad de Salamanca, Spain; Universidad del País Vasco, San Sebastian, Spain; Tamkang University, Taiwan; Lomonosov University, Russia; Open University, UK; Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Spain; Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain; Interamerican University of Puerto Rico; Fernuniversität, Hagen, Germany (1983); Universidad Simón Bolivar, Venezuela; Penn State University, USA; University of Waterloo, Canada; Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México; Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara, Mexico; and Universidad Católica Andres Bello, Venezuela.